Call us crazy, but here at Via, we feel strongly that New Year’s resolutions should go beyond waistlines and (wasted) gym memberships. Why not resolve to do more of something you already love? Thus, we present to our dear readers a collection of travel resolutions for 2017, as dreamed up by our editorial team.
Some of these ideas are practical and easy to execute, while others require more thought or venturing farther afield. Find inspiration in our list and then determine your own resolutions to satisfy (and ignite) your wanderlust in 2017.
1. Stay overnight, or longer, at a National Park that's new to you.
2. In that vein, make a trip to Yosemite or the Grand Canyon. Bonus points if it’s your first time or you take someone who’s never been before.
3. Enjoy some of the amazing urban hikes available in the Bay Area, such as San Francisco’s Mt. Davidson or the Nimitz Way Trail in the East Bay’s Tilden Park.
4. Rent an Airstream for a chance to check out Joshua Tree in style.
5. Upgrade your weekend bag. It may not seem as important as your usual luggage, but a weekend bag likely gets more use.
6. Start saving for your next big trip right now. Iceland, anyone?
7. Aim to take regular weekend getaways. Visit nearby small towns, plan camping excursions at state parks, or hop on a short flight to head out of state.
8. Don’t wait until the last minute to determine your spring break travel plans. Book ahead for the best deals and less headache.
9. Road trip along a route you’ve never driven on before.
10. Pack less.
11. Do something outside of your comfort zone. Face your fear of heights on a zipline tour in Klamath Falls, Ore., or challenge your claustrophobia at Sequoia National Park’s Crystal Cave.
12. Consider a family-friendly trip abroad. Let your kids catch the travel bug as early as possible!
13. Even if going abroad isn’t possible, get away for one long trip (at least a week or more). Go ahead and use up all your vacation days—that’s what they’re for!
14. Organize and backup photos from your previous travels. (We know. This one’s tough, but just think how good it’ll feel.) If you’re really ambitious, pick a few to print and frame.
15. See Harry Potter and the Cursed Child play in London, or go to New York City to watch Hamilton on Broadway.
16. Visit our neighbors to the north in honor of Canada’s 150th anniversary. To celebrate, Parks Canada has waived the fee to all of the country’s stunning national parks and historic sites for the whole year. So, now’s the time to head to Banff or Prince Edward Island.
17. Take a spontaneous trip. Don't decide where you're going until you get in the car.
18. Travel the Alaska Highway—2017 marks its 75th anniversary—and take it slow. Scenic sightseeing stops are mandatory.
19. Plan a vacation that’s purely for relaxation purposes. We’re thinking beaches, hammocks, and very little to do.
20. Go somewhere—anywhere, near or far—that you’ve never been but have always wanted to see.
AAA Travel can help you book your next vacation.