Take the plunge at Waterworld California, walk through an Amazon rain forest in Utah, or check out an art exhibit in Idaho Falls.
- Tahoe Adventure Company’s new Gar Woods Lakeside Lunch and Kayak Tour tops off a moderate paddle with a sit-down meal. tahoeadventurecompany.com.
- Discover everything from remote waterfalls to easily accessible cascades with Hiking Waterfalls in Oregon. $21.95. amazon.com.
- At Waterworld California in Concord, Calif., Break Point Plunge sends riders looping six stories down a pair of side-by-side tube waterslides. waterworldcalifornia.com.
- In Draper, Utah, the new Loveland Living Planet Aquarium’s 74 exhibits include a walk-through Amazon rain forest and a 300,000-gallon shark tank. thelivingplanet.com.
- Embark on a photographic stroll through Yosemite National Park and its seasons with the hardcover book Yosemite in Pictures. $9. yosemiteconservancy.org.
- Build a virtual Viking ship and see old Norse swords and artifacts at the Royal B.C. Museum’s Vikings exhibit in Victoria, B.C., until Nov. 11. royalbcmuseum.bc.ca.
- Coming face-to-face with a dozen life-size animatronic dinosaurs, including a velociraptor and a juvenile T. rex, may challenge your understanding of how these creatures lived and looked. Dinosaurs Unearthed shakes up Portland’s OMSI through Sept. 2. omsi.edu.
- Ideal for camping excursions and road trips, the SmartLantern is a flashlight, lantern, and USB charger all in one. $80. bracketron.com/smartlantern.
- In Idaho Falls, Idaho, the interactive ARTitorium on Broadway encourages creativity for all ages with a 160-seat theater, a recording studio, found-art sculpture stations, and much more. idahofallsarts.org.
- At the Museum of the Rockies in Bozeman, Mont., Geckos—Tails to Toepads showcases 75 colorful geckos from around the globe. Until Sept. 8. museumoftherockies.org.
- Visiting southwest Montana? Take along a knowledgeable friend—on your phone. The free app Of Sage and Stone offers details on everything from local historic sites to guest ranches, with added maps and directions in the 2.0 version. itunes.apple.com.
- The book Wyoming Revisited: Rephotographing the Scenes of Joseph E. Stimson compares pictures taken at various intervals over the last century to show how the state’s landscapes have changed and endured. $30. amazon.com.
- Fly nonstop from Kalispell, Mont., to Portland on Alaska Airlines’ seasonal FCA-PDX route through Aug. 23. alaskaair.com.
This article was first published in July 2014. Some facts may have aged gracelessly. Please call ahead to verify information.