Highlights include performances at San Francisco's Museum of the African Diaspora and apps that help you explore Idaho and Wyoming.
The online tool UC Davis EV Explorer helps users compare the annual energy cost of gas, electric, and hybrid vehicles. phev.ucdavis.edu/project/ev-explorer.
- Four vivid shows, among them Drapetomanía: Grupo Antillano and the Art of Afro-Cuba, inaugurate San Francisco’s reopened Museum of the African Diaspora. moadsf.org.
- Take a virtual tour of the American frontier through visual art, interactive exhibits, and a sculpture courtyard at the new Western Spirit: Scottsdale’s Museum of the West in Arizona. scottsdalemuseumwest.org.
- See nearly 200 treasures in The Forbidden City: Inside the Court of China’s Emperors at B.C.’s Vancouver Art Gallery, through Jan. 11. vanartgallery.bc.ca.
- Newly updated, Lonely Planet’s Best Ever Travel Tips helps you avoid common vacation pitfalls. Member price $9. AAA.com/store.
- Admire Portland International Airport’s iconic 1980s carpet—now being replaced—at Carpet Diem!, a collage displayed through 2015 in Concourse D. flypdx.com.
- The updated, free app Idaho Travel Guide by Triposo offers tips on attractions, restaurants, and nightlife in major cities. Works offline, too. itunes.apple.com.
- At Seattle’s Wing Luke Museum, the exhibit Do You Know Bruce? explores martial artist and movie star Bruce Lee’s Northwest connection with rare photos and letters. wingluke.org.
- The updated app Official Wyoming State Parks, Historic Sites & Trails Guide combines location and activity searches. itunes.apple.com.
- The Children’s Museum of Northeast Montana in Glasgow debuts World Wildlife Experience, a show of mounted animals, cultural artifacts, and more, covering eight regions worldwide. nemtchildrensmuseum.org.
- The Tutka Bay Lodge Cookbook highlights recipes, photos, and personal stories from Alaska’s beloved, remote seaside lodge. $22. amazon.com.
- Alaska’s first Hard Rock Cafe, in Anchorage, has a 52-inch touch wall that lets visitors browse the company’s memorabilia archive. hardrock.com/cafes/anchorage.
This article was first published in January 2015. Some facts may have aged gracelessly. Please call ahead to verify information.