Visit a pirate ship in San Diego, take a direct flight from Oakland to Honolulu, or check out a dog sled race that starts in Jackson, Wyo.
- The free Sparks, NV Historic Tours app highlights the city’s rich history—railroads figure prominently—with audio stories and photos. play.google.com/store/apps.
- Precious coins are among some 200 artifacts recovered from a sunken 18th-century pirate ship, all on exhibit in the show Real Pirates at the San Diego Natural History Museum. Starting Feb. 8. sdnhm.org.
- At the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix, Chihuly in the Garden showcases the prolific glass artist’s works along a series of nature trails. Through May 18. dbg.org.
- Follow your luggage from check-in to baggage claim with Trakdot, a palm-size device that uses cellphone technology to report its location. $50 plus fees. trakdot.com.
- Starting Jan. 5, Hawaiian Airlines will be offering daily flights between Oakland and Honolulu. hawaiianairlines.com.
- Stare down Big Daddy Bahasa, a venomous, carnivorous Komodo dragon with awesome claws, at the San Francisco Zoo's new Komodo Alley. sfzoo.org.
- The free TriMet Tickets app allows riders of Portland’s trains and buses to prepurchase tickets on their smartphones, eliminating the need to carry cash or printed tickets. trimet.org.
- Cheese maven Tami Parr explores the boom in regional creameries with Pacific Northwest Cheese: A History. $23. osupress.oregonstate.edu.
- Built for the city's bicentennial, the Garden of Surging Waves in Astoria, Ore., honors local Chinese heritage, displaying traditional flore and artwork. astoriachineseheritage.org.
- Dog teams get to rest overnight in the International Pedigree Stage Stop Sled Dog Race, starting Jan. 31 in Jackson, Wyo., and ending Feb. 8 in Park City, Utah, passing 10 towns. wyomingstagestop.org.
- The free Helena Walking Tours app dishes on some 90 buildings and landmarks, with four self-guided strolls to choose from in Montana’s capital.
- Local Craft Tours offers several options for exploring the Seattle spirits scene, with cocktail samplings and distillery visits. localcrafttours.com.
- For its 60th anniversary, the C.M. Russell Museum in Great Falls, Mont., has a special exhibit of Russell’s paintings, drawings, bronzes, and more. Through Feb. 28. cmrussell.org.
- Denali Legacy: 100 Years on the Mountain uses artifacts and hands-on displays to recount the first ascent of the peak. In Fairbanks at the University of Alaska Museum of the North. Ends Apr. 12. uaf.edu.
This article was first published in January 2014. Some facts may have aged gracelessly. Please call ahead to verify information.