Is one really the loneliest number? Not for Via readers out to see the world.
- "Eat your dinners at the bar instead of at a table," says Barbara Arnold of Dublin, Calif. "You’ll never dine alone."
- "Sign up for group day trips, such as rafting or hiking excursions," suggests Julia Sommer of Ashland, Ore.
- "Stay in bed-and-breakfasts and hostels," says Terri Weist of Pollock Pines, Calif. "You’ll meet people from all over."
- "I throw a paperback into my day bag," writes Crystal Elam of Portland. "It’s a great way to start a conversation and it gives me something to do if I’m feeling lonely."
- "Make a personal business card with your picture and contact info," says Mike Krupicka of Alameda, Calif. "Pass it out to new friends."
Illustration by Michael Klein
This article was first published in January 2007. Some facts may have aged gracelessly. Please call ahead to verify information.