How can a houseguest show their appreciation? Via readers share
Beyond leaving the pet behind, bringing a gift, and writing a thank-you, what do the best houseguests do? Via readers have some ideas.
- "Take photos," suggests Serena McClory of El Cerrito, Calif. "Put them in an album and send it as a thank-you."
- "I bring a good book to occupy myself—and to give my host space," writes Deborah Barton of Las Vegas.
- "Invite your hosts to be guests at their home and cook them a gourmet meal," says Christie Gorsline of McCall, Idaho.
- "Our best houseguests insisted on washing our windows for us," write Gordon and Jean Cook of La Pine, Ore.
- "Don’t sit in your host’s favorite chair!" advises Cyndy Goodson of Ferndale, Calif.
Illustration by Michael Klein
This article was first published in November 2006. Some facts may have aged gracelessly. Please call ahead to verify information.