A sleepy eastern Idaho town is hopping with restaurants, galleries, and sites for winter fun.
Highway 33, which links the eastern Idaho towns of Driggs and Victor, follows the route that early dude ranch patrons took by steam locomotive to Teton Valley, Idaho, then by motorcar over 8,400-foot Teton Pass to Jackson Hole, Wyo. But now, as more and more western Wyoming visitors and residents have begun making the drive, the once sleepy Teton Valley has become a hive of activity. Along the 14-mile north-south stretch aptly called Main Street, a visitor can find restaurants, galleries, sites for winter fun—and nary a T-shirt shop.
- Grand Targhee Resort averages a yearly 500 inches of snow, and its lodging and lift ticket packages run as little as $112 a day. 3300 E. Ski Hill Rd., Alta, Wyo., (800) 827-4433, www.grandtarghee.com.
- Revel in virgin powder on a ski or snowshoe outing with Rendezvous Backcountry Tours. Guided day trips, keyed to ability, come with lunch; overnighters stay at backcountry yurts. 1110 Alta North Rd., Alta, Wyo., (877) 754-4887, www.skithetetons.com.
- At the Knotty Pine, Idaho beef burgers and Kansas City–style barbecue go well with live music from touring bands. Try "KPBR" beer made by Wildlife Brewing and Pizza across the street. 58 S. Main St., Victor, (208) 787-2866.
- Where does Jackson resident Harrison Ford go when he craves a BLT at 9 a.m.? He flies over to Warbirds Café at the Driggs airport, where the menu offers elk medallions and buffalo burgers. 675 Airport Rd., Driggs, (208) 354-2550, www.tetonaviation.com.
- It’s never too cold for a huckleberry shake at Victor Emporium, a soda shop built in the 1950s. 45 N. Main St., Victor, (208) 787-2221.
- Stay in one of the snug Teton Valley Cabins at the mountains’ base. From $69. 34 E. Ski Hill Rd., Driggs, (866) 687-1522, www.tetonvalleycabins.com.
- In January, catch bronze works by three sculptors at Ciao Gallery, a local artists’ cooperative with monthly openings. 145 N. Main St., Victor, (208) 787-4841, www.ciaogallery.com.
Photography courtesy of Grand Targhee Resort
This article was first published in January 2008. Some facts may have aged gracelessly. Please call ahead to verify information.