Via magazine
Via magazine - Your AAA Magazine

How Do I Insure My Home Office?

Learn what it takes to protect your office when you work out of your home.

If you think your home insurance policy will cover your work space in the garage, think again. Homeowners policies generally don’t cover business-related activities. So if your office contains vital papers or equipment worth more than $2,500, you may want to look into added insurance.

Most insurance companies offer three kinds of home business coverage. A home office policy covers basic damages, such as loss of records. A business owner policy can cover a range of items, from flood damage to advertising libel. Some companies will add a “business endorsement” to your home insurance policy, increasing the limits for property protection. Also, if you have an employee, most states require you to purchase workers’ compensation.

To find the right policy, consider all the ways you could lose equipment, software, company data, and access to your customers. Then do an inventory of what it might cost you to get up and running again. Call your insurance agent for advice. And remember: Your insurance can be as unique as your business.

To learn how AAA can help insure your home office, visit


This article was first published in January 2011. Some facts may have aged gracelessly. Please call ahead to verify information.