What's New in the West: November 2010
Highlights include restored cabins in Zion National Park, a beer passport to Bend, Ore., a Hawaiian submarine, and Harry Potter, the Exhibition.
- The SF Arts Guide iPhone app lets you search 1,000 listings of San Francisco festivals, readings, and shows by category, keyword, or date. Download it free at sfarts.org/iphone.
- At Zion National Park in Utah, 40 Western cabins have been restored to their 1927 look and feel, but with modern amenities throughout. From $173. zionlodge.com.
- More than 1,000 fountains shoot, dance, and sway in World of Color, a water-and-light show featuring scenes from movies, at Disney’s California Adventure. disneyland.disney.go.com.
- Ask for the lift ticket package when booking a night at Lake Tahoe’s Granlibakken Lodge and get a pass to one of seven ski resorts, including Squaw Valley and Sugar Bowl. From $138. granlibakken.com.
- Artifacts from vessels that sank centuries ago off Point Reyes and Baja California are among some 125 treasures in Galleons and Globalization: California Mission Arts and the Pacific Rim, through Dec. 20 at the University of San Francisco’s Thacher Gallery. usfca.edu/library.
- Practice your Quidditch moves, see the robes of Albus Dumbledore and Horace Slughorn, and sit in Hagrid’s huge chair at Harry Potter: The Exhibition, at Seattle’s Pacific Science Center through Jan. 30. pacsci.org.
- Portland’s long-shut 1927 Alberta Rose Theatre has reopened as a music showcase and home for the popular Live Wire radio variety show. albertarosetheatre.com.
- Download a beer passport to Bend, Ore., get it stamped at all seven brewpubs on the Bend Ale Trail, and receive a free superdurable silicone pint glass. bendaletrail.com.
- See Stephen Knapp: Light Paintings, installations of steel, glass, and light, through Apr. 17 at the Boise Art Museum. boiseartmuseum.org.
- In Hawaii’s Kailua Bay, descend 100 feet aboard a battery-powered Atlantis Submarine to view two shipwrecks teeming with marine life. atlantisadventures.com.
This article was first published in December 2010. Some facts may have aged gracelessly. Please call ahead to verify information.