- On May 23 the San Diego Zoo debuts Elephant Odyssey, a 7.5-acre grassland habitat with six Asian elephants, California condors, and a fossil dig. (619) 231-1515, www.sandiegozoo.org.
- Alexander Calder's sculpture Big Crinkly will grace a new rooftop garden at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, along with works by Ellsworth Kelly, Louise Bourgeois, and Kiki Smith. Admission is free on unveiling day, May 10. (415) 357-4000, www.sfmoma.org.
- The Swaner EcoCenter in Park City, Utah, greets its first wildflower bloom. Stroll a boardwalk and trails or climb a four-story lookout. (877) 467-9263, www.swanerecocenter.org.
- State-of-the art exhibits span 400 years at the New Mexico History Museum in Santa Fe, opening May 24. (505) 476-5100, www.nmhistorymuseum.org.
- TourAlaska's Turnagain Arm on a new electrically assisted bike. The spectacular 26-mile trip offers a chance to view whales, moose, and bears. $125. www.coastaltrailrentals.com.
This article was first published in May 2009. Some facts may have aged gracelessly. Please call ahead to verify information.