- Earn free entry to U.S. Disney theme parks by volunteering at any of 70,000 agencies, including Glide Memorial Church in San Francisco and Habitat for Humanity. disney.go.com.
- Happy Hollow Park & Zoo in San Jose reopens March 20 following a $70 million reno-vation. Look for a giant play structure and a lemur exhibit. www.hhpz.org.
- What makes Old Faithful spout? Find the answer on WikiReader, a handheld device that provides offine access to Wikipedia's entire 3-million-topic library. $99. thewikireader.com.
- Take in the Grand Canyon from a 3,000-foot-high overlook on a mule ride. Three-hour round-trips depart twice daily starting March 15. $110 per person. nps.gov/grca.
- The online travel planning tool Duffel compiles details from Web sites on one handy "dashboard." duffelup.com.
- View 3,800-year-old Caucasian mummies from western China at Secrets of the Silk Road. Opens March 27 at the Bowers Museum in Santa Ana, Calif. bowers.org.
- At the new Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum in Fairbanks, Alaska, you can see an 1898 Hay amp; Hotchkiss and 60 other vintage vehicles. fountainheadhotels.com.
- Glacier National Park: The First 100 Years celebrates the park's 2010 centennial with in-depth commentary and 200 photos. $40, hardcover. amazon.com.
- Look in on whiskey making from milling to distilling during free weekday tours of Wyoming Whiskey's spacious facility in Kirby. No onsite sales. wyomingwhiskey.com.
This article was first published in March 2010. Some facts may have aged gracelessly. Please call ahead to verify information.