- Zip to San Francisco's most compelling exhibits on the CultureBus (line 74X), which stops three times an hour near the de Young Museum, California Academy of Sciences, Asian Art Museum, City Hall, and Contemporary Jewish Museum. All-day tickets $5 to $7. (415) 701-2311.
- At the new Grammy Museum in Los Angeles, peer at Louis Armstrong's trumpet, Pete Seeger's banjo, Grandmaster Flash's turntables, and other artifacts from 160 genres of music on four floors filled with interactive displays. www.grammymuseum.org.
- Get the latest snow conditions at Lake Tahoe and other Nevada ski resorts on any Internet-ready phone at nvski.mobi. You'll also find road reports, details on lifts and runs, and ski-and-stay package offers.
- Natalie Bartley's Best Rail Trails Pacific Northwest gives mile-by-mile summaries, detailed maps, wheelchair access, and difficulty ratings for walkers, joggers, and bikers on more than 60 old railroad routes in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho. $16. www.amazon.com.
- Updates on Idaho snow conditions, winter activities, and deals at many of the state's alpine and Nordic ski areas are just clicks away at www.skiidaho.us.
- Flying? Luggage Locator Pro, a gizmo that beeps and flashes when activated by remote control, makes it easy to find your belongings on a crowded luggage carousel. $30. The Ergo handheld digital luggage scale from Balanzza lets you weigh your bags at home before a plane flight, a step that can save you from charges for overweight items. $25. www.balanzza.com.
This article was first published in January 2009. Some facts may have aged gracelessly. Please call ahead to verify information.