Every cache contains a book. Write your name and the date in it, then record your discovery online.
Since 2000, 4 million people have joined the hunt for geocaches—hidden treasures that anyone with a GPS unit can find. To get started, take some tips from expert Elin Carlson of Northridge, Calif.
- Buy a GPS device Carlson likes the slim Garmin Geko. “I found my first 10,000 caches with it,” she says.
- Pick your target Search a geocaching website for a cache, then enter the coordinates into your GPS device.
- Go on the hunt Sticks and rocks are often used to conceal containers.
- Log your find Every cache contains a book. Write your name and the date in it, then record your discovery online.
- Give and take If you take something, leave something behind. Small toys, pins, and coins are all popular.
- Join a team “It’s a nice way to find people who like to have fun,” Carlson says.
Photography by Lasse Hendriks/Shutterstock
This article was first published in January 2013. Some facts may have aged gracelessly. Please call ahead to verify information.