Highlights include a foodie tour of Napa, Calif., a trolley through central Portland, Ore., and a new visitor center at Idaho's Bear Lake State Park.
- The free app Saving Grace has handy packing checklists along with reminders for predeparture tasks such as emptying the fridge. itunes.apple.com .
- The brightest holiday displays? Californiachristmaslights.com lists over 400 sites throughout Northern and central California.
- Gourmet Walks’ three-hour foodie tour of downtown Napa, Calif., offers tastes from cheeses to olive oils to chocolates infused with wine. $68. gourmetwalks.com .
- Visit central Portland with Big Pink Sightseeing tours. Each trolley has hop-on, hop-off service to a dozen stops, among them Powell’s Books, Pioneer Square, and Lan Su Chinese Garden. $24 and up. graylineofportland.com .
- Meet the staff, shop for souvenirs, and warm up at Bear Lake State Park’s new 1,250-square-foot visitor center in St. Charles, Idaho. parksandrecreation.idaho.gov/parks/bearlake.aspx .
- A free mobile app for Seaside, Ore., offers lodging and dining ideas and detailed itineraries for exploring the Oregon coast, including one for beer lovers. seasideor.com .
- The 240-page Historical Atlas of Washington and Oregon presents Northwest history from first exploration to the 1962 Seattle World’s Fair through reproductions of over 500 maps and images. $40. barnesandnoble.com .
- The University of Oregon’s Ford Alumni Center in Eugene explores the school’s legacy and future with artifacts and interactive displays, such as a searchable touch table with details on former students. uoalumnicenter.com .
This article was first published in November 2011. Some facts may have aged gracelessly. Please call ahead to verify information.