Learn about the Gold Rush in Placerville, Calif., visit a new water park near Las Vegas, or see lions at Salt Lake City's Hogle Zoo.
- An all-new California Coast exhibit opens on June 6 at San Francisco’s California Academy of Sciences. Visit calacademy.org .
- Learn legends of ghosts and spirits with Gold Rush Tales’ hour-long evening walking tours in Placerville, Calif. goldrushtales.vpweb.com .
- What’s the Golden State’s longest wooden pier? Its prettiest? Find out in Pier Pressure: California Piers from San Diego to San Francisco, filled with history, trivia, and 500 photos. $32. amazon.com .
- Cowabunga Bay Water Park, opening May 24 in Henderson, Nev., near Las Vegas, boasts more than 30 attractions, including a giant raft slide and a six-story water playground. cowabungabay.com/LasVegas .
- Intimate Impressionism from the National Gallery of Art, at San Francisco’s Legion of Honor, showcases 70 impressionist and post-impressionist landscapes, portraits, and still lifes on loan from the renowned museum in Washington, D.C. Through Aug. 3. legionofhonor.famsf.org .
- Come face-to-face with giraffes, zebras, and even lions at Hogle Zoo’s new five-acre African Savanna exhibit in Salt Lake City. hoglezoo.org .
- Hiking Idaho, 3rd: A Guide to the State’s Greatest Hiking Adventures provides details on 100-plus outings. $25. amazon.com .
- Portland Opera wraps up the season with Gilbert and Sullivan’s merry Pirates of Penzance. Get a 20 percent AAA discount for May 9, 11, and 15 shows. Book online at portlandopera.org/AAA .
- View prints made in the 1930s by Works Progress Administration artists in WPA Impressions: The Reality of the American Dream, on display through July 27 at the University of Oregon’s Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art in Eugene. jsma.uoregon.edu .
This article was first published in May 2014. Some facts may have aged gracelessly. Please call ahead to verify information.