Check out an octopus exhibit at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, see art made of plastic at the Anchorage Museum, or splash in the pools at a Disney resort on Oahu.
- The hit film Despicable Me comes to life at the new Minion Mayhem attraction at Universal Studios Hollywood this spring. Visit Gru’s villain lair, then play in Super Silly Fun Land. Save $3 on tickets booked at AAA.com/universal .
- Tentacles: The Astounding Lives of Octopuses, Squid, and Cuttlefishes opens Apr. 12 at Monterey Bay Aquarium in Monterey, Calif. Stop by a Northern California AAA branch for discount tickets. montereybayaquarium.org .
- The exhibit Venice: The Golden Age of Art and Music runs through May 11 at the Portland Art Museum. AAA members get a $2 discount. portlandartmuseum.org .
- Relax in an infinity pool or let the little ones go wild in an expanded water play area at Aulani, a Disney resort on Oahu’s southwest coast. AAA.com/disney .
- At the Utah Museum of Fine Arts in Salt Lake City, The Savage Poem Around Me: Alfred Lambourne’s Great Salt Lake displays paintings, sketches, and writings of the 19th- and 20th-century artist obsessed with the inland sea. Closes June 15. umfa.utah.edu .
- Welded Workers and Fused Faces, a show of whimsical scrap-metal sculptures by Ray Carrington, runs through October 31 at Sacramento’s California State Railroad Museum. csrmf.org .
- The updated Oregon Trip Checker Free app offers Android users fast access to Department of Transportation info, including construction, weather reports, and road restrictions. Requires Internet access. play.google.com/store .
- More than 20 artists turned flip-flops and other marine trash into art for Gyre: The Plastic Ocean, through Sept. 6 at the Anchorage Museum in Alaska. anchoragemuseum.org .
- The app Hiking Glacier National Park provides day-trip info on more than 70 of the legendary Montana park's trails, including difficulty levels and maps. $2. itunes.apple.com .
- Stop at a Wyoming visitor center to pick up the first of your free vintage-style road-trip stickers—from Yellowstone to Cody to Devils Tower. wyomingtourism.org .
- Visit expert wood-carvers, see a fish-processing demo, and interact with Native culture in Klukwan, Alaska, on Jilkaat Kwaan Cultural Tours. jilkaatkwaanheritagecenter.org .
This article was first published in March 2014. Some facts may have aged gracelessly. Please call ahead to verify information.