Highlights include American Indian art, a new trail in Redding, Calif., and a Las Vegas zip line.
- GPSmyCity, a new iPhone app, offers self-guided walking tours of more than 250 cities worldwide. With pics, directions, and location details. $3–$5. gpsmycity.com .
- Visit ancient ruins, explore Anna Ranch, and discover the Hawaiian cowboy during a Waimea Historical Tour by Big Island Discovery. $58 a person. exploretheranch.com .
- The Denver Art Museum’s newly renovated American Indian art galleries feature interactive displays and 650 original and recently added works such as Corn Blue Room, a multimedia piece by Jolene Rickard. denverartmuseum.org .
- Montana’s state parks now take advance reservations for campsites throughout the system. Visit campmt.com or call (855) 922-6768.
- Take a sharp virtual tour of Wyoming’s Fort Laramie National Historic Site, complete with 360-degree views, 3-D digital models, and full park history at archive.cyark.org/fort-laramie-intro .
- In Las Vegas, glide along an 826-foot zip line beneath the arched canopy and above the crowds of downtown’s Fremont Street. $15–$20. fremontstreetflightline.com .
- Wi-Fi access is now offered at most Idaho state parks. Log on free for a limited time daily or buy a yearly pass. $29. parksandrecreation.idaho.gov .
- The Most Beautiful Villages and Towns of the Pacific Northwest highlights in 200-plus pages of stories and photos spots from scenic beach towns to lighthouses. $40. barnesandnoble.com .
- Tattoo: The Art of the Sailor, an exhibit opening in April at the Columbia River Maritime Museum in Astoria, Ore., showcases seafaring’s early days and their influence on today’s body art. crmm.org .
- Fun for families on outings to Benton, Coos, and Lincoln counties, Oregon Coast Quests are self-guided outdoor learning adventures prompted by books of clues. hmsc.oregonstate.edu/visitor/oregon-coast-quests .
- Near the top of the gondola line at Heavenly Mountain Resort at Lake Tahoe, Calif., Tamarack Lodge is the property’s first new lodge in two decades, with vistas, dining, and drinks. skiheavenly.com .
- Angels Camp Museum’s Mark Twain exhibit highlights the popular author’s 88-day stay in Calaveras County, Calif. gocalaveras.com .
- Bike, skate, or walk the new Sacramento River National Recreation Trail stretching 16 miles from the Sundial Bridge in Redding, Calif., to Shasta Dam. visitredding.com .
This article was first published in March 2011. Some facts may have aged gracelessly. Please call ahead to verify information.