Hike Utah with your dog, navigate California gardens with a new smart-phone app, celebrate Idaho's sesquicentennial, or ogle Lady Gaga's meat dress in Seattle this summer.
- Bold ideas shine in Ray Eames: A Century of Modern Design, in Sacramento at the California Museum through Feb. 23. $2 AAA discount. californiamuseum.org .
- Mountaineers Books’ Best Hikes with Dogs: Utah spotlights 76 of the state’s most wagworthy trails, with tips for tackling varied terrain with furry pals. $19. mountaineersbooks.org .
- California Gardens app features 200 gorgeous gardens. Free–$2. northerncaliforniagardens.sutromedia.com .
- America’s National Parks, A Pop-Up Book depicts 18 parks, six in 3-D, including Montana’s Glacier (above). $35. nationalparkspopup.com .
- Sample Baja fish tacos, Indian street food, and more with Edible Excursions’ Temescal Tastes, a culinary tour through a hipster neighborhood in Oakland. edibleexcursions.net .
- 50 Greatest Photographs of National Geographic at the Las Vegas Venetian through Labor Day. $3 AAA discount. venetian.com .
- A Colima shaman appears in Pre-Columbian Sacrifice: The Burden of the Elite, an exhibit about sacred rituals in the ancient cultures of Central and South America. Through December at the Marjorie Barrick Museum in Las Vegas. barrickmuseum.unlv.edu .
- Hail the 100th anniversary of the Molalla Buckeroo rodeo with barrel racing, bull riding, and Oregon cowboys and cowgirls. In Molalla, Ore., July 3–6. molallabuckeroo.com .
- At Seattle’s EMP Museum, Women Who Rock: Vision, Passion, Power traces a path from ’60s girl groups through punk rock icons and on to Lady Gaga. Through Sept. 22. empmuseum.org .
- At Portland’s OMSI, Mummies of the World gathers together mummies and related antiquities from around the globe. Through Sept. 8. omsi.edu .
- Essential Idaho: 150 Things That Make the Gem State Unique honors Idaho’s 150-year history as a territory and state with artifacts, stories, and costumes. At Boise’s Idaho State Historical Museum through Dec. 31. AAA discount on adult admission. history.idaho.gov/essential-idaho-exhibit .
- The expanded pinniped exhibit at the Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport features a greatly enlarged viewing area ideal for watching frolicking seals and sea lions.Ten percent AAA discount. aquarium.org. 
- The University of Wyoming Geological Museum in Laramie now digs deep into the local fossil record. uwyo.edu/geomuseum .
- Explore a wildlife-rich estuary by water bike with Alaska Sea Cycle Tours in Ketchikan and learn how Alaskans cherish the land and sea. $20 discount for AAA members. alaskaseacycletours.com .
- The newly updated Touring Hot Springs Montana and Wyoming covers the best publicly accessible thermal soaking spots, from hot water creeks to rustic resorts, with maps, directions, and highlights. $20. falcon.com .
- The exhibit Figure to Field: Mark Rothko in the 1940s, at the Denver Art Museum through Sept. 29, explores the painter’s evolution from realism to total abstraction. $1–$1.50 AAA discount. denverartmuseum.org .
- Masks and daggers reveal the skill of Japanese warriors in Lethal Beauty: Samurai Weapons and Armor, through Aug. 8 at the Honolulu Museum of Art. honolulumuseum.org .
- A Blackfoot status symbol in the 1880s, this bonnet of eagle feathers, bison horns, and ermine skins now graces the Buffalo Bill Center of the West in Cody, Wyo. The museum recently unveiled over 80 Plains Indian artifacts from the estate of artist Paul Dyck, with hundreds more yet to come. centerofthewest.org .
Photography by CO Leong
This article was first published in July 2013. Some facts may have aged gracelessly. Please call ahead to verify information.