Visit a pirate ship in San Diego, take a direct flight from Oakland to Honolulu, or check out a dog sled race that starts in Jackson, Wyo.
- The free Sparks, NV Historic Tours app highlights the city’s rich history—railroads figure prominently—with audio stories and photos. play.google.com/store/apps .
- Precious coins are among some 200 artifacts recovered from a sunken 18th-century pirate ship, all on exhibit in the show Real Pirates at the San Diego Natural History Museum. Starting Feb. 8. sdnhm.org .
- At the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix, Chihuly in the Garden showcases the prolific glass artist’s works along a series of nature trails. Through May 18. dbg.org .
- Follow your luggage from check-in to baggage claim with Trakdot, a palm-size device that uses cellphone technology to report its location. $50 plus fees. trakdot.com .
- Starting Jan. 5, Hawaiian Airlines will be offering daily flights between Oakland and Honolulu. hawaiianairlines.com .
- Stare down Big Daddy Bahasa, a venomous, carnivorous Komodo dragon with awesome claws, at the San Francisco Zoo's new Komodo Alley. sfzoo.org .
- The free TriMet Tickets app allows riders of Portland’s trains and buses to prepurchase tickets on their smartphones, eliminating the need to carry cash or printed tickets. trimet.org .
- Cheese maven Tami Parr explores the boom in regional creameries with Pacific Northwest Cheese: A History. $23. osupress.oregonstate.edu .
- Built for the city's bicentennial, the Garden of Surging Waves in Astoria, Ore., honors local Chinese heritage, displaying traditional flore and artwork. astoriachineseheritage.org .
- Dog teams get to rest overnight in the International Pedigree Stage Stop Sled Dog Race, starting Jan. 31 in Jackson, Wyo., and ending Feb. 8 in Park City, Utah, passing 10 towns. wyomingstagestop.org .
- The free Helena Walking Tours app dishes on some 90 buildings and landmarks, with four self-guided strolls to choose from in Montana’s capital. helenamt.com .
- Local Craft Tours offers several options for exploring the Seattle spirits scene, with cocktail samplings and distillery visits. localcrafttours.com .
- For its 60th anniversary, the C.M. Russell Museum in Great Falls, Mont., has a special exhibit of Russell’s paintings, drawings, bronzes, and more. Through Feb. 28. cmrussell.org .
- Denali Legacy: 100 Years on the Mountain uses artifacts and hands-on displays to recount the first ascent of the peak. In Fairbanks at the University of Alaska Museum of the North. Ends Apr. 12. uaf.edu .
This article was first published in January 2014. Some facts may have aged gracelessly. Please call ahead to verify information.