Check out Portland’s new Rock & Roll Café, wine barrel tasting in Sonoma County, and Titanic artifacts in British Columbia.
Check out Portland's new Rock & Roll Café, wine barrel tasting in Sonoma County, and Titanic artifacts in British Columbia.
- Need a break this spring? Save up to 35 percent in Yellowstone National Park if you reserve a room by April 1 at any of four sites: Old Faithful Snow Lodge (May 4–10), Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel (May 4–10), and Lake Yellowstone Hotel (May 18–24), Grant Village (May 25–31). Rates vary. (307) 344-7311, www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com .
- Patricia Unterman's San Francisco Food Lover's Guide, by the city's favorite dining maven, reappears in March as a slimmed-down pocket edition. It lists 600 restaurants and markets, including 60 new entries. $12. www.tenspeed.com .
- Savor new wines straight from the barrel in Sonoma County, Calif., this March. Also winery tours, dinners, and talks. (800) 576-6662, www.scbarreltasting.com .
- View influential works by Dorothea Lange, Jackson Pollock, and others in The Modern West: American Landscapes, 1890–1950 at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, March 4 to June 3. (323) 857-6000, www.lacma.org .
- This March a founder of Paul Revere & the Raiders opens Mark Lindsay's Rock&Roll Café in Portland's Hollywood District. He'll be selling "Top Notch burgers" in tribute to the legendary Yaw's Restaurant, closed since 1982. www.marklindsaysrockandrollcafe.com .
- More photos, new sites, and lots of rough charm grace the new edition of The Top 100 Most Beautiful Rustic Vacations of North America (240 pages, $23). www.rusticvacations.com .
- Save up to 35 percent in Yellowstone National Park if you book a room by April 1 at Grant Village (May 25–31), Lake Yellowstone Hotel (May 18–24), Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel (May 4–10), or Old Faithful Snow Lodge (May 4–10). (307) 344-7311, www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com .
- On April 14, Titanic: The Artifact Exhibition opens at the Royal BC Museum in Victoria, B.C. Visitors enter by gangplank, then explore re-creations of an outdoor café, boiler room, and cabins stocked with relics from the shipwreck—281 items in all. (250) 356-7226, www.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca .
- Montana's Magic City honors its past in the new exhibition We're Making History: Billings' First 125 Years, opening March 15 at the city's Western Heritage Center. Find rare artifacts, kid-friendly exhibits, and a speakers' series. (406) 256-6809, www.ywhc.org .
- Winter, ice, lights, dogs—that's Anchorage's annual Wildfest! March 2–4. Enjoy fireworks, snow mazes, and live music—plus the start of the Iditarod sled dog race (March 3) and the Tour of Anchorage Nordic ski race (March 4). (907) 276-4118, www.anchorage.net .
- Snooze in style at Hotel Monaco Portland (formerly the 5th Avenue Suites) starting March 8. The 221 rooms have flat-panel TV sets, free wireless Web access, and luxury linens. (888) 207-2201, www.monaco-portland.com .
This article was first published in March 2007. Some facts may have aged gracelessly. Please call ahead to verify information.