Lively gatherings around the West honor the dearly departed during Día de los Muertos, culminating on the Nov. 2 holiday.
- Admire a cadaverous art exhibit culled from more than 30 national submissions at the Maude Kerns Art Center in Eugene, Ore., from Oct. 12 to Nov. 2 (mkartcenter.org ).
- Find Jayne Mansfield’s cenotaph on Oct. 27 at Los Angeles’s Hollywood Forever Cemetery before catching vividly made-up characters in spirited performances
- Join thousands for a procession through San Francisco’s Mission District on Nov. 2 (dayofthedeadsf.org ).
- Watch artists build altars and monumental catrinas—skeletal sculptures in skirts—at Springs Preserve in Las Vegas, Nov. 2–3 (springspreserve.org ).
- Keep spirits high as you sip on reposados and anejos during a tequila-tasting dinner at the Pink Rose in Portland on Oct. 31 (pinkrosepdx.com ).