Along the coast 130 miles southwest of Portland, Newport, Ore., is a the self-described Dungeness crab capital of the world--and so much more. From lighthouses to sea critters (both on our plates and in the deep), writer Lucy Burninham brings us across the local landscape.
- VIA: Newport, Ore.: A coastal gem 
- A lighthouse worth the climb : Hands-on history, down to the period attire.
- Driven toward seafood : What to eat when surrounded by surf? Not always what one would expect.
- Discover the deep : Newport doesn't just trade on the nearby ocean, it uses it as an educational tool.
- Otis Cafe a delightful slice of Americana : Frills unnecessary for an outstanding meal.
This blog post was first published in January 2011. Some facts may have aged gracelessly. Please call ahead to verify information.