A popular neighborhood in Portland, Ore., combines art, theater, and delicious eats.
Already known for Last Thursday (lastthursdayonalberta.com ), an evening street party that combines fire dancers and art shows, Alberta Street became even more popular when Thai-street-food apostle Andy Ricker opened Pok Pok Noi (pokpoknoi.com ) on nearby Prescott Street. Area code is 503.
- A tree-lined path winds past a playground and softball field at Alberta Park. 823-2223, tinyurl.com/albertapark .
- Opened as a movie house in 1928, Alberta Rose Theatre was reimagined two years ago as a performance space. Vaudeville shows, bands, and pocket sandwiches are just a few of its offerings. 764-4131, albertarosetheatre.com .
- Cozy DOC takes its name from an Italian designation for quality regional wines and foods, signifying its devotion to local ingredients cooked simply, from flatiron steak with kale to espresso panna cotta. 946-8592, docpdx.com .
- Every Day Wine carries some 400 bottles, many under $18. Wide-ranging tastes are poured at a friendly wooden bar. 331-7119, everydaywine.com .
- Fantastic beer and moderately priced meals of crunchy salt cod fritters and porchetta di testa are on the menu at Grain & Gristle, a comfortable gastropub. 298-5007, grainandgristle.com .
- Monograph Bookwerks’ unadorned facade disguises a beautifully curated interior filled with exquisite new, used, and rare art books, as well as paintings, prints, ceramics, and other treasures. 284-5005, monographbookwerks.com .
- Silk-screened tees and note cards featuring ink and watercolor designs make light-filled Redbird Studio a fine place to browse. 593-0833, redbirdstudio.biz .
- Pine State Biscuits, the little-foodcart-that-could, has evolved into a full-scale restaurant with ample seating and pickle-jar decor. Its fried chicken biscuit sandwich is just as great. 477-6605, pinestatebiscuits.com .
Photography by Robbie McClaran 
This article was first published in July 2012. Some facts may have aged gracelessly. Please call ahead to verify information.