Just a month after Charles Lindbergh made the first solo transatlantic flight in 1927, the oil vapor–powered beacon at Kauai’s Kilauea Point Lighthouse guided pilots Albert Hegenberger and Lester Maitland as they completed the first transpacific air crossing to Hawaii, leaving from Oakland, Calif., and landing on Oahu.
Decommissioned in 1976, the 52-foot landmark rises above the Kilauea Point National Wildlife Refuge, the northernmost tip of Hawaii’s inhabited islands and home to monk seals and red-footed boobies. (808) 828-0384, fws.gov/kilaueapoint .
Photography by Ben Davidson Photography
This article was first published in March 2014. Some facts may have aged gracelessly. Please call ahead to verify information.