National Public Gardens Day
Date:May 10, 2013
Schedule:Call or visit website for details
Free; check with individual gardens for more information
CA, NV, UT, OR, ID
Visit website for details
It’s a great time of year to get outside and see what’s in bloom. Visit these luscious locales to behold natural beauty.
- Stroll for free through a living gallery at the Cornerstone Sonoma, where large-scale sculptures complement foliage. cornerstonegardens.com.
- Transport yourself to a land resembling Oz at the four-acre San Francisco Botanical Garden in Golden Gate Park. Llilac, poppies, irises, and meadowfoam, among others, create a Technicolor display. sfbotanicalgarden.org.
- Visit Earthbound Farm in Carmel, Calif., to pick herbs and lavender from a garden. On May 11, you can learn how to make compost tea and seed bombs. ebfarm.com.
- Take a closer look at many-legged garden insects on Bug Zoo field trips through May 10, or inhale the sweet smell of blooming lilacs at Sawtooth Botanical Garden in Ketchum, Idaho. sbgarden.org.
- Learn more about native plant species gathered on the Lewis & Clark Expedition at the Idaho Botanical Garden in Boise. idahobotanicalgarden.org.
- Soak up the sun with exotic desert plants at the University of Nevada–Las Vegas. facilities.unlv.edu/landscape.
- Tour a Victorian home and its grounds at the Historic Deepwood Estate in Salem, Ore. historicdeepwoodestate.org.
- Admire peonies as well as calming views of the Ogden River at the Ogden Botanical Gardens. ogdenbotanicalgardens.org.
Want more flower power? Check out our list of wildflowers resources.