Day of the Dead in the West
Date:October 12, 2012 - November 3, 2012
Schedule:Visit website for details
Prices vary; visit website for details
CA, NV, OR
CA, NV, OR
Visit website for details
Lively gatherings around the West honor the dearly departed during Día de los Muertos, culminating on the Nov. 2 holiday.
- Admire a cadaverous art exhibit culled from more than 30 national submissions at the Maude Kerns Art Center in Eugene, Ore., from Oct. 12 to Nov. 2 (mkartcenter.org).
- Find Jayne Mansfield’s cenotaph on Oct. 27 at Los Angeles’s Hollywood Forever Cemetery before catching vividly made-up characters in spirited performances
- Join thousands for a procession through San Francisco’s Mission District on Nov. 2 (dayofthedeadsf.org).
- Watch artists build altars and monumental catrinas—skeletal sculptures in skirts—at Springs Preserve in Las Vegas, Nov. 2–3 (springspreserve.org).
- Keep spirits high as you sip on reposados and anejos during a tequila-tasting dinner at the Pink Rose in Portland on Oct. 31 (pinkrosepdx.com).