A private hot pool at Saratoga Resort & Spa offers bather Cree Bol soothing warmth with no sulfur odor.
Situated between the Sierra Madre and the Snowy Range, Saratoga never really had a chance to take after the booming New York spa that inspired its early-20th-century developers. Turns out that's a good thing. The tiny resort town, off Interstate 80 in southern Wyoming, is an unspoiled jewel. Area code is 307.
Honor the region's ranching history with a Wolf Burger, eight ounces of top sirloin on a sesame-seed bun, at the Hotel Wolf Restaurant. 101 E. Bridge St., 326-5525, wolfhotel.com.
- The free and always open Hobo Hot Pool, set just a few feet from the North Platte River, is equally popular with visitors and locals (who often arrive in bathrobes). 201 S. River St., 326-8335.
- It's worth stopping in at the Saratoga Museum to view the displays of arrowheads, petrified wood, gems and minerals, and a reconstructed homestead. 104 Constitution Ave., 326-5511, saratoga-museum.com.
- Built in 1949 after the town's original resort burned down, Saratoga Resort & Spa has tepeecovered private pools, massage therapists on staff, Pendleton blankets and feather beds in its guest rooms, and rocking chairs all along the veranda. 601 E. Pic Pike Rd., 326-5261, saratogaresortandspa.com.
- Two area artists work on-site at Wyold Aspen Studio & Gallery and others join changing exhibits of paintings, monotypes, photos, art glass, jewelry, ceramics, and apparel. 102 W. Bridge St., 326-3404, wyoldaspenstudio.com.
- Fishing in the middle of winter? Why not? Hardy anglers can start practicing now for Saratoga's annual Ice Fishing Derby, always held the third weekend in January, which awards thousands of dollars in prize money. Saratoga Lake, 326-8855, saratogachamber.info.
- At Lollypops, the only thing better than the croissant heaped with turkey bacon and guacamole is the ice cream made in the back of the shop.
Photography by Tom Bol
This article was first published in November 2009. Some facts may have aged gracelessly. Please call ahead to verify information.