Kids enjoy shopping in Salt Lake City's tucked-away neighborhood.
If you stick to Salt Lake City's main boulevards, you'll miss this sweet spot. Three miles southeast of downtown, the enclave is tucked away on a narrow street lined with maple trees and craftsman bungalows. It's a one-block stretch packed with fun-to-browse boutiques, a great Lebanese café, an independent bookstore, and the city's most romantic restaurant. To get there, just follow the grid system to 1500 South and 1500 East. Area code is 801.
- The Blue Cockatoo Gallery is stocked with everything from handcrafted earrings to whimsical diaper bags. Owner Jennifer Pia scours street fairs and art festivals for the one-of-a-kind pieces that fill her shop. 1506 South 1500 East, 467-4023.
- Great Garb owner Bob Haedt was the first in Utah to carry Calvin Klein. He continues to set trends with high-fashion brands such as Theory, Sacred Blue Denim, and Bianca Nero. On the racks this winter, you'll find skinny-legged jeans, cropped blazers, and tunic sweaters. 1510 South 1500 East, 486-1582.
- Take a lunch break at Mazza, where proprietor Ali Sabbah dishes up fresh, authentic Lebanese cuisine. Start with a muhammara, a mixture of walnuts, pomegranate, roasted bell peppers, olive oil, and spices ground into a creamy paste and served with lettuce leaves. Then move on to a shawarma, in which thin slices of tender lamb and beef are folded into a warm pita. 1515 South 1500 East, 484-9259, www.mazzacafe.com.
- At the King's English Bookshop, find a huge selection of mysteries, the favorite genre of owner Betsy Burton. In fact, the remains of the store's deceased cat, Agatha Christie, sit in an urn near the register. 1511 South 1500 East, 484-9100, www.kingsenglish.com.
- With just 13 tables, Fresco Italian Café is intimate—and popular among locals for a romantic night out. If you don't have a reservation and there's a wait, you can pass time in the bookshop next door and the hostess will come get you when your table by the fire is ready. 1513 South 1500 East, 486-1300, www.frescoitaliancafe.com.
Photography by Nicole Morgenthau
This article was first published in January 2007. Some facts may have aged gracelessly. Please call ahead to verify information.