Ultrafresh seafood meets antique brick and mortar at Tona Sushi Bar in Ogden, Utah.
The Old West’s rowdy spirit permeates the brick walls along Ogden’s 25th Street. Soldiers and rail workers jammed this boulevard, which once boasted dozens of saloons and pool halls. Along the infamous stretch called Electric Alley you can still see second-story Dutch doors and bricked in windows of former bordellos. "Of course, we have ghosts," says Deon Gooch, owner of Olive & Dahlia in this gentrifying town. Area code is 801.
- Union Station, no longer a depot, houses the Utah State Railroad Museum (with 11 locomotives), the Browning-Kimball Classic Car Museum, and the John M. Browning Firearms Museum. 2501 Wall Ave., 393-9886, www.theunionstation.org.
- Fountains gurgle while your imagination kicks into gear among the home and garden items at Olive & Dahlia. 215 25th St., 627-0340.
- Need a larding needle? At Pan Handlers you’ll find it in the stacks of specialized culinary tools. 260 25th St., 392-6510.
- Comfort food and signature beers beckon diners into Roosters Brewing Company and Restaurant. Local patrons salivate when they talk up the fish tacos and the pear and Gorgonzola salad. 253 25th St., 627-6171, www.roostersbrewingco.com.
- Find garments both slinky and chic at Slavy Ageless Fashion Boutique, named for the shop’s Yugoslav proprietor. 163 25th St., 621-0192.
- Tona Sushi Bar and Grill draws seafood lovers from near and far for creative sushi rolls, including the Green Monster: asparagus tempura and tuna topped with wasabiinfused fish eggs. 210 25th St., 622-8662, www.tonarestaurant.com.
- History buffs, collectors, and the curious love 25th Street Emporium, where apothecary bottles date back 140 years. 107 25th St., 392-1473.
- At Treehouse Museum, just a few blocks north, kids ages 2 to 12 enjoy such hands-on diversions as giant "pop-up" books depicting international folktales. 347 22nd St., 394-9663, www.treehousemuseum.org.
Photography by Adam Finkle
This article was first published in May 2009. Some facts may have aged gracelessly. Please call ahead to verify information.