Top Maui Eats: 13 More Great Bites
Road Journals Blog—I'll be honest. When Via asked me to head to Maui and investigate the food scene, I didn't expect to find much of real interest. Happily, my pre-trip impression of the island's culinary offerings turned out to be totally out of date. Gone are the days when mediocre tourist chow was the norm. Maui now bursts with terrific eats, from farmers markets to white tablecloth temples of Hawaii Regional Cuisine.
Via's September/October 2012 story lists seven of the top food experiences I found on Maui. Here, in no particular order, are thirteen more that have me dreaming of a return to the Valley Isle.
- Lilikoi (passion fruit) quark cheesecake at Surfing Goat Dairy outside the Upcountry town of Kula. surfinggoatdairy.com
- In the West Maui hamlet of Olowalu, pies both savory (braised short ribs 'n' potatoes) and sweet (macnut chocolate praline) from Leoda's Kitchen and Pie Shop. leodas.com
- Chef Justin Pardo's Thursday farm dinners at Market Fresh Bistro in the Upcountry town of Makawao. marketfreshbistro.com
- Grilled lemongrass-crusted Molokai prawns and a sunset cocktail at Honu in Lahaina. honumaui.com
- At the Maui Brewing Company's brewpub in Kahana, the robust CoCoNut Porter flavored with toasted coconut. mauibrewingco.com
- Plantation-inspired cuisine at Ko in Wailea at the Fairmont Lea Kani Resort. fairmont.com/kealani
- Poke from any of the Foodland supermarkets on Maui. foodland.com
- The garlic shrimp plate lunch from the Geste Shrimp Truck parked on Kahului Beach Road near Kahului Harbor. (808) 298-7109
- At the Travaasa resort in Hana, the hamburger made with local tomatoes, a house-baked bun, and Maui Cattle Company beef. travaasa.com/hana
- Pineapple-Banana Dream Cake at Grandma's Coffee House in Kula. grandmascoffee.com
- At Peter Merriman's Monkeypod Kitchen in Wailea, poke tacos in crisp wonton shells with little dollops of avocado cream. monkeypodkitchen.com
- The rice plate lunch at Aloha Mixed Plate in Lahaina, while you sit outdoors with a beach view. alohamixedplate.com
- Ice cream flavors like lilikoi, Maui Gold pineapple, and macadamia nut (made with nut puree) from Ono Gelato, which has locations in Lahaina, Kihei, and Paia. onogelatocompany.com
Did I miss anything? Let me know. Mahalo.
This blog post was first published in August 2012. Some facts may have aged gracelessly. Please call ahead to verify information.