Featured Journey: Gateway towns to national parks
Road Journals Blog—Our national parks are stunning in their own ways, collectively drawing hundreds of millions of visitors each year. Many of them, however, share a trait that many people fail to consider: wonderful small towns through which visitors must pass—many without stopping—on the way in. Writer Jennifer Reese explored these towns for VIA, and blogs here about some of her experiences en route.
- VIA: Gateway towns to six national parks.
- Pine nuts present a messy addiction: A warning to those who eat and drive.
- Bringing literature to life: The surreal experience of driving through the setting of a book on tape that happens to be playing in your car.
- S'no driving like snow driving: When a driver realizes that enough may well be enough.
- Changing one's mind at the Hotel Charlotte: The nature of B&Bs is hardly universal.
This blog post was first published in January 2011. Some facts may have aged gracelessly. Please call ahead to verify information.