Car vacations are an all-American tradition, but like the families who take them, no two are the same. Whether you plan to get your kicks on Route 66 or another scenic byway, it pays to be prepared. First stop: a AAA branch for DMV services, maps, and TourBook guides. Once on your way, use your AAA member benefits to have fun, stay safe, and save.
- Go for the gold with Hertz Skip the line at the counter by signing up for a free Hertz Gold membership through AAA; you’ll get a free rental day after the first time you use Gold. Your AAA card also earns you up to a 20 percent discount, free use of a child car seat, and no charge for additional drivers who are AAA members. Find out more at AAA.com/hertz.
- Go digital, go light AAA TourBook guides have every corner of your trip covered, but with thousands of listings they are bulky. Members can get over 100 free AAA eTourBook guides for smartphones and tablets at AAA.com/ebooks.
- Let dog be your copilot The newest edition of the AAA PetBook lists more than 14,000 pet-friendly accommodations. Pick one up at a AAA branch (member price $14.50). Learn more at AAA.com/petbook.
- Pitch a tent The Woodall’s/AAA Official Campground Guides (member price $3.95) have detailed information on thousands of campgrounds and RV parks, plus ideas for one-tank trips. Get one at a AAA branch.
- Know what’s where There are AAA maps, and then there’s the TripTik Travel Planner, for a customized routing that highlights what you’ll encounter along the way: EV charging stations, gas stations and prices, and hotels. Visit AAA.com/triptik.
- Get help fast Don’t let a breakdown stall your vacation plans. Call AAA Emergency Road Service, available any time of day or night, at (800) AAA-HELP (222-4357).
- Show your card Save up to 25 percent at participating restaurants, and up to 20 percent at hotels such as Best Western, Hyatt, and Sheraton.
For more discounts, visit AAA.com/discounts.
This article was first published in July 2012. Some facts may have aged gracelessly. Please call ahead to verify information.